Years ago when Dropbox first came out, many people were eagerly downloading and enjoying the promised additional storage. I was among those who enjoyed and regularly used Dropbox. Recently, I was made aware of a new company with a similar product, but with the ability to rival Dropbox.
Copy is a cloud storage and sharing service much like the popular options that have already been existence, yet with several interesting features. They even have a mantra of “fair storage for all” with pricing starting at free and rising to encompass even the busy professional corporations.
Recently, new users at the free level were invited to open an account with 15GB worth of storage. This is awesome. Even better, for each person who you refer to Copy via your referral link, you both receive another 5GB. Some users are getting unheard of free amounts of storage thanks to this generous offer.
I even was intrigued so I downloaded the app for my computer and also my iOS device. Installation was quick and painless. Much like Dropbox, Copy uses a drag & drop interface. You have a folder that is added to your computer and literally copy your content over to the folder which instantly syncs with Copy on your devices and online. This means you can keep your music collection with you on the go. This means you can also store photos, files and more.
Another cool feature is the ability to share files via a public link. Once you add your content to your folder, right-click and you will be provided a menu of Copy’s options. You can select to copy the public link and then share the content with friends, family & clients for their viewing and downloading pleasure! This feature is not new, but it’s simple, fast and sofar has provided no glitches. This means you can finally share photos with Grandma without her having to do anything except click a link and save what she wants. When I tested this feature, the contact was only able to access the shared content and nothing more. Awesome. It was also easy for them to view and download with a pleasing minimalist interface.
As for my iOS, I am using iPhone 4S and have had no problems with viewing my content. However, my camera roll is nearly full and I have yet to be able to upload content without the app crashing. Still, I plan to try this out a little longer until I am able to verify if the crash is due to my excessive amount of photos or to their app.
Are you interested and curious to try Copy yourself? Try it and comment with your thoughts! Who doesn’t want 15GB+ online storage for FREE! Music? Photos? Files? Woot! https://t.co/yHU0zL0ACa
Additional information via Copy’s press release on their website:
“Beyond the now standard 15GB of free storage, Copy users also can benefit from the Copy referral program and the “Fair Storage for All” initiative:
- Copy Referral Program — In possibly the most rewarding referral program in cloud storage history, Copy users can earn 5GB of additional free storage for both themselves and the person they introduce to Copy for each referral, with no limit on the total capacity they can earn. The average Copy referrer has earned well over 60GB of free storage, with the largest referrers earning space in the 10s of TBs.
- Copy “Fair Storage for All” Initiative — Instead of counting data in shared folders against all members’ individual storage quotas so everyone pays for the same data over and over, Copy allows users to “split the bill” and control which files count against their storage capacity. View the 40-second video on the Copy “Fair Storage for All” initiative at http://youtu.be/m36ZMdE-vro. Copy was created to meet the exceedingly high design demands of today’s online and mobile users, and to provide the advanced security and corporate features required for businesses. Additional highlights of the service include:
- Multiple device compatibility — Copy works across Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux computers and offers mobile device support for Apple iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad) and Android, with Windows Mobile coming soon.
- Easy file sharing without limits — Copy allows users to upload and share files of any size, including 1080p videos and raw photographs, without size limitations often found in email attachments. These shared files and folders can be sent to anyone either publicly or privately and accessed from any location or device.
- More security — Copy provides a secure alternative to other cloud storage services. Included data verification inspects data before Copy accepts it into the user’s cloud storage. File-level ownership is verified prior to transferring anything to other devices. Copy also allows users to share files privately using Copy’s built-in identify verification.
- Company control — Copy extends its cloud storage and sharing benefits into corporate environments with user and group management and added controls for proprietary company data.
Pricing and Availability
Individual Copy accounts provide 15GB of cloud storage free of charge, and paid plans start at $9.99USD/month or $99USD/year for up to 250GBs.
Copy for Companies introduces an industry-changing no-per-user-fee approach and plans starting at $399.99USD/year for 100GB.
Sign up for Copy by Barracuda: https://www.copy.com
Earn 5GB of additional free cloud storage for each referral brought to Copy: https://www.copy.com/bigger
View the 40-second video about the Copy “Fair Storage for All” initiative: http://youtu.be/m36ZMdE-vro
Follow Copy by Barracuda on Twitter: @copyapp
Like Copy by Barracuda on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/copy